Hilti Outperformer: commercial and engineering tracks
Do you have a recent master’s degree?
Are you fluent in English and another language?
Would you relish the opportunity to live and work internationally?
Do you have the drive and desire for a career in global senior management?
This could be the fast-track career starter you’re after.
In North America we offer two different tracks: commercial/engineering as well as logistics. This page looks at our commercial and logistic tracks.
Real responsibility from day one
Hilti Outperformer is a global leadership development program like no other. Over a two-year period, we’ll prepare you for a global career by putting you right in the center of our customer-focused business model and giving you full responsibility from day one.
Yes, it’s fast paced and challenging. But we’ll closely coach and mentor you while broadening your experience through a range of international management projects and a hugely impactful social project. You’ll also get the support you need to learn, grow and carve your own career. And, aside from enjoying an incredible experience and making friends along the way, you’ll gain a certification from the top-ranking IMD business school in Lausanne, Switzerland.
“You have access to Hilti’s most senior leaders - to the executive board and to the top local leaders too. It really helps with developing your own career, as you can find out about all the different roles and paths they’ve taken.”
Aidan, Commercial Global Trainee
Why you’re perfect for the program
• You’ve recently graduated, or you’re preparing to graduate, with a master’s degree or PhD.
• Your degree is likely to be in business management or engineering. Engineering degrees could be mechanical or electrical, civil or industrial, aeronautical or materials science. We’ll also consider subjects like economics, politics or international studies if you can prove you have a mind for our business.
• You’re ambitious for a career in global senior management.
• You’ve spent at least three months, and up to two years, in a professional environment, like an internship, apprenticeship or work experience, or have just started your career and want an opportunity where you can perform well and progress.
• You’ve gained international experience during your work or studies.
• You’re multilingual – fluent in English plus another language or two. You’ll need this skill to work in different regions.
• You’re mature and assertive, curious and committed.
• You’re a flexible team player with good communication and social skills.
• You’re a global thinker, keen for intercultural experiences and opportunities working abroad.
What our commercial/engineering track looks like
Hilti Outperformer is a two-year rotational program. From the start, you’ll be working with colleagues from around the world, gaining exposure to senior management as well as your own personal mentor. This means joining meetings with board members and attending global summits as part of a high-performing team. You’ll be given a variety of roles, learn about meeting the needs of our demanding customers and get involved with some high-profile, business-critical assignments. You’ll also do a program at IMD business school in Switzerland, and take part in a life-changing social project.
Our commercial track is split into these four main stages of work:
• 12 months as an account manager or field engineer in the country where you apply. You’ll get hands-on experience and a deep insight into the core of our business – our customers, products, services and software.
• 3 months on an operational project in national headquarters. You’ll work as part of a project team in a non-sales role. It could be logistics, HR, finance, marketing or engineering.
• 6 months on a strategic project in regional headquarters. Again, it might be logistics, HR, finance, marketing or engineering, but at a strategic level.
• 3 months on a strategic project outside the region. This will give you an international perspective, with its different working cultures and market challenges. If you’ve come from a mature market, you’ll work in an emerging market, and vice versa.
During your program, we’ll prepare you for a global leadership career through a variety of fascinating courses and events:
• Leadership development program – a comprehensive learning journey with IMD business school in Lausanne, Switzerland, designed to expand your thinking about Hilti and your role as an emerging leader. Covering a wide range of modules, like strategy thinking, finance, execution and global leadership, it’s a combination of online, classroom and outdoor training - some individual and some in teams - with a certification from IMD.
• Business management training – individual training at Hilti. A focus on behavioral profiles, personal strengths, leadership styles, communication skills and presentation tools.
• Global summit – 4-5 days at our global headquarters in Liechtenstein. A look at the way global business units function, both independently and cooperatively, as well as soft skills like situational leadership, international teamwork, networking and culture.
• Social project – 7-8 days ‘building a better future’. A hands-on community project like our recent house building in Bosnia. Between laying bricks, you’ll learn how catastrophes such as war, famine and natural disaster can affect people and business in a region.
Throughout your program, you’ll discuss your next roles and locations with your sponsor and regional program manager. This way, you’ll get the best possible exposure and understanding of the business.
How to apply for your place
While the application process is slightly different for each region, it broadly looks like this:
• Click on ‘Apply now’ below, which will take you to our online application system.
• Choose a track: commercial/engineering or logistics.
• Choose a country. You must be fluent in the local language and hold a permit to work there.
• Upload your resume and cover letter, ideally in pdf format.
• Also include any references, such as letters of recommendation from universities, internships or professional experience.
• If we think you’re suited to the program, we’ll invite you for a first round of interviews with HR and a senior manager.
• If this goes well, we’ll invite you to a regional assessment center.
• Along the way, we’ll be clear and honest with you about your progress, so you’ll always know where you stand.
• If successful, the starting date of your program will depend on the region and your availability.