Software Development Lead
What's the role?
Lead Developer is a pivotal role in Hilti’s Global Application Software Unit, providing software engineering excellence combined with leadership on Scrum Dev Teams. The Lead Developer leads a Scrum delivery effort by fully understanding business objectives and effort breakdowns from a Product Owner, and by executing on the strategic direction driven by the Architecture. Lead Developer is responsible for implementing backlog tasks, architectural designs and solutions, and executing on the development tasks both directly and through leading the developers. Further, the Lead Developer drives and validates use of patterns and practices defined by the broader technical organization, as well as adopts the established DevOps framework.
Who is Hilti?
If you’re new to the industry, you might not have heard of us. We provide leading-edge tools, technologies, software and services for the global construction sector. We have a proud heritage, built over 75 years, and a worldwide reputation for pioneering products and exceptional service. With 30,000 people in more than 120 countries, which we’re looking to expand, we’re a great place for you to show us your worth, step up to new challenges and grow your career.
What does the role involve?
• Operate effectively in a large / complex, global / multi-cultural software development organization under agile Scrum framework
• Actively participate in product feature and design discussions; help shape the future of Hilti’s web and services platforms
• Collaborate with solution architects to validate and implement application solutions and services
• Present implementation options to both technical leadership and other software engineering teams
• Lead code reviews and work with development teams to validate use of prxoper patterns and practices
• Implement architectural strategies for building loosely coupled, modular systems which leverage Cloud computing to achieve economies of scale
• Empower development teams to adopt a DevOps philosophy by taking ownership of continuous integration and delivery processes
• Work with infrastructure and development teams to achieve highly available and scalable solutions using container-based orchestration platforms
• Implement and enforce defined Git workflows and branching strategies and version control
• Provide guidance and assistance to development teams for effective use of testing frameworks for automated unit and end-to-end testing
• Mentor developers in their day-to-day tasks and assists in their professional development
• Function as the principal liaison between global development teams and Scrum team
What do we offer?
We’ll give you everything you need to excel in your role, including ongoing training and lots of responsibility from the start. In return for your exceptional performance and consistent results, you’ll receive one-to-one career mentoring, as well as exciting opportunities domestically and internationally.
Why should you apply?
We have an excellent mix of people and some of our best account managers joined us with little or no construction experience. Success at Hilti is down to teamwork and ability, no matter what your background.
What you need is:
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field (or equivalent work experience)
• Minimum five (5) years experience designing and developing enterprise-scale applications and services
• Minimum two (2) years working experience leading development teams and providing technical guidance
• Prior experience working with geographically distributed development teams a plus
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; quick learner with a strong work ethic; self-motivated, team player
• Experience conducting code reviews and taking part in technical discussions
• Experience working in an Agile environment (SCRUM, XP, etc)
• In-depth knowledge of object-oriented programming languages preferably C#
• Experience with relational and non-relational databases, as well as ORM technologies
• Experience designing and developing Web API’s and/or microservices in .NET Core or Node.js
• Familiarity with container concepts and toolsets (Docker, Kubernetes, etc)
• Experience using Git for version control with various branching strategies and development workflows (forking, pull requests, rebasing, etc)
• Experience with unit testing and test driven development methodologies (TDD, BDD, etc)
• Familiarity with Cloud-based platforms and paradigms (AWS preferred)
Normal office conditions
Up to 20% international travel, required
Hilti, Inc is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.