Lead Technical Support Engineer
What's the role?
The role of Lead Technical Support Engineer (TSE), is responsible for assisting the Manager, Technical Support Engineering by providing direct managerial support and mentorship to TSEs. The Lead Technical Support
Engineer is accountable for providing engineering support and technical marketing services to the fastening and protection product business units (BUs), sales market organizations (MOs), key field personnel, and to Hilti
customers, including engineers and architects. This role has primary responsibility to prepare TSE team members for field assignment. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, training field technical
personnel, TSEs, support all engineering level requests, development of technical support engineers, management of special projects, and development and quality control of internal processes and standards.
Who is Hilti?
If you’re new to the industry, you might not have heard of us. We provide leading-edge tools, technologies, software and services for the global construction sector. We have a proud heritage, built over 75 years, and a worldwide reputation for pioneering products and exceptional service. With some 29,000 people in more than 120 countries, which we’re looking to expand, we’re a great place for you to show us your worth, step up to new challenges and grow your career.
What does the role involve?
Assist in the development and training of personnel:
• Assist with recruiting, interviewing, onboarding, and personnel planning
• Prepare technical support engineers for field engineering role through training and
• Provide skills training in: sales calls, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), presentation, sales channel orchestration, design support, and Situational Selling (SSS)
• Provide training for field personnel on specific technical topics to include, but not limited to,
anchor design, decking design, software utilization, plan reading, takeoffs, and estimates
• Facilitate engineer training programs for basic and advanced anchoring and direct fastening technology on both theoretical and practical application basis including related engineering concepts to field engineers and technical support engineers as well as to other Hilti technical personnel
• Review content developed for external training to include but not limited to seminars, webinars, and externally posted online training documentation
• Develop and coordinate technical and engineering information and literature for publication; collaborate with the fastening and protection product business units and by monitoring the needs of Hilti customers
Support the Technical Support Engineering team:
• Provide direct engineering support for fastening and protection product BUs including anchors, direct fastening, installation systems, Hilti Anchor Channel, and Hilti engineering software (PROFIS suite).
• Provide engineering support to the Technical Support Engineers by utilizing a thorough knowledge of products, of basic engineering principles, and of construction techniques.
• Remain current in the knowledge of building codes relative to the application of Hilti
anchoring and direct fastening products
• Oversee outbounding activities and participation in specific outbounding campaigns targeting the specifying community
• Represent technical support engineering at meetings and events, as required
• Understand and apply approvals and listings for Hilti anchoring and direct fastening products correctly in verbal and written communication with customers
• Provide engineering support through the composition of letters regarding the application of Hilti products for external customers
• Develop processes to support the delivery of training, calculations, and technical consults to both internal and external customers
• Meet assigned deadlines while completing defined projects (e.g. presentations and intranet
development, marketing projects, and other engineering assignments) to support activities of Hilti field engineers, customers, and other sales’ personnel
• Protect Hilti from liability exposure through utilization of sound engineering judgment
• Final technical review of externally directed calculations, estimates, and written position
• Additional duties, as assigned
What do we offer?
We’ll give you everything you need to excel in your role, including ongoing training and lots of responsibility from the start. In return for your exceptional performance and consistent results, you’ll receive one-to-one career mentoring, as well as exciting opportunities domestically and internationally.
Why should you apply?
We have an excellent mix of people and some of our best account managers joined us with little or no construction experience. Success at Hilti is down to teamwork and ability, no matter what your background.
What you need is:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, required; Civil, Architectural, or Mechanical discipline, preferred
• Minimum two (2) years’ engineering experience required (field engineer, corporate TSE, or design office)
• Certification of Engineer in Training (EIT), required
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to identify, analyze, and solve technical problems
• Ability to function effectively on teams
• Aptitude to read and understand blueprints, construction specifications, and documents
• Aptitude and passion to develop people
• Situational leadership training or previous peer leadership experience preferred
• Ability to effectively use Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Preferably, internal candidates will have been in current role for at least 18-24 months
Hilti, Inc is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.