HR Generalist – Bethesda, MD
What's the role?
Reporting to the Head of Human Resources for Hilti North America’s East Market Organization, the Human Resources Generalist partners with line management to provide general human resources related consultation, support, service, and guidance to Hilti employee and management groups. Key areas of responsibility include line management support/coaching, employee development, strategic recruiting, legal compliance, Hilti People Review/succession planning, and organizational development in support of Hilti’s business objectives, strategic initiatives, and organizational priorities.
This is a highly visible role within the organization, to be successful, you will need a strong ability to perform, confidence communicating with employees at all levels of the organization, and a high level of initiative to see all tasks through to completion. Ultimately, we strive to provide best in class service to our client groups as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Who is Hilti?
If you’re new to the industry, you might not have heard of us. We provide leading-edge tools, technologies, software and services for the global construction sector. We have a proud heritage, built over 75 years, and a worldwide reputation for pioneering products and exceptional service. With 30,000 people in more than 120 countries, which we’re looking to expand, we’re a great place for you to show us your worth, step up to new challenges and grow your career.
What does the role involve?
Manage and/or provide consultation on employment related matters – including: interviewing, hiring, transfers, demotions, relocations, promotions, terminations, surplus issues, etc.
Own the performance management process for the local organization including providing regular coaching and guidance to team leaders/line managers through ongoing discussions and leveraging the coaching for success process to support team member development and the achievement of business targets
Serve as a catalyst for change management to ensure consistency in communication and alignment of company objectives
Partner with our legal team to conduct thorough employee/workplace investigations
Advise and coach management and team members on personnel problems and/or corrective action issues to help ensure equitable, consistent, and lawful treatment of all employees in all employment actions
Support compliance programs (e.g., EEO/AA, ADA, FLMA, WC, etc.) to ensure legal and corporate policy compliance in all Hilti North America (HNA) employment practices
Consult with management and HR business partners to ensure that employees are compensated appropriately and equitably
Assist in recruiting efforts as needed
Consult and assist in training/development initiatives relating to client base
Ensure necessary employment records are maintained in accordance with legal requirements
Actively participate in diversity initiatives as a guiding HR principle
Manage talent development programs for the local organization – including summer intern process, divisional talent days, Emerging Leaders Program, Accelerated Leadership program, etc.
Conduct and analyze Exit Interview process for client groups
Promote Hilti through professional networking opportunities
Practice and deploy company culture and principles throughout client groups
Manage administrative tasks of HR function – including processing transactions in WorkDay, maintaining HR share drive, payroll inquiries, supporting disability and leaves of absences for team members, tracking headcount and people movement, quickly processing employee requests, creating PowerPoint presentations, regularly updating HR analytics, etc.
All other duties, as needed
What do we offer?
We’ll give you everything you need to excel in your role, including ongoing training and lots of responsibility from the start. In return for your exceptional performance and consistent results, you’ll receive one-to-one career mentoring, as well as exciting opportunities domestically and internationally.
Why should you apply?
We have an excellent mix of people, which we believe makes for a more vibrant, more innovative, more productive team. Success at Hilti is down to teamwork and ability.
What you need is:
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Human Resources at a generalist level (and or equivalent experience and education) to include the following: employee relations, recruitment, organizational development, succession planning, coaching, compensation, and/or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Business, Human Resources, or a related field or equivalent combination of education and applicable experience; Master’s Degree preferred
- Professional Human Resources (SHRM or HRCI) certification a plus
- Extensive knowledge of current employment-related laws and best practices in human resource processes
- Skillful in written and oral communication, including persuasive negotiation skills
- Strong conceptual thinking skills and the ability to utilize creative and innovative approaches in problem solving
- Strong organizational abilities and PC skills required; knowledge of SAP and WorkDay preferred
- High level of motivation and client focus, continuous improvement mentality required in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others
- Preferably, internal candidates will have been in current role for at least 18-24 months
Hilti, Inc is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
“There’s a real family spirit and you can literally knock on any director’s door at any time. Also your line manager will work very hard to help you develop your skills, both professionally and personally.”