Most people joining Hilti start their careers with us either in sales or engineering. This is the best introduction to the company because engaging our loyal customers, and developing these strong relationships, is what drives our success.
Sales is an exciting hands-on role where you’ll share Hilti innovations with companies of all sizes. As well as helping to make local projects safer and more productive, you may also get to work on some high-profile construction projects. These might be commercial, civil, energy, industrial or government. You’ll almost certainly work on some remarkable feats of engineering and you’ll meet all sorts of people - from on-site construction workers to project managers and company leaders.
Sales offers you the chance to develop your career and achieve great results. Most people choose to stay in sales because it’s such an enjoyable and rewarding role, but in time you may choose to set yourself new challenges by discovering other areas of the business.
Ours is a model of professional consultative selling. We don’t do traditional cold calling.
For you this means forging new associations with responsive customers and building relationships with existing ones. Most will already know, trust and want our products. You’ll be demonstrating some of the most pioneering solutions in the industry, while selling our state-of-the-art software along with all the services and after-care that come with the Hilti name.
Some of our best team members join us having never worked in sales before. Nor did they ever picture themselves working in construction. But their energy, courage, sharp thinking and competitive drive make them flourish in this role. We have an excellent mix of people, where success is down to teamwork and ability, no matter what your background.
"I continue to be impressed by the sales culture at Hilti. We love to win, and we love to do it as a team. We train hard, we work hard and we celebrate success. When we have setbacks and losses, we come together as a team and work to make our next attempt successful. I love coaching and leading others within that environment."
- Traci W., Division Manager, California
“How am I going to sell power tools? I’ve never drilled a hole in my life! That’s what I thought when I first joined Hilti, but it’s really not like that. It’s about nurturing your strengths and being rewarded for hard work.”
James, Customer service representative (sales)
At Hilti, you’ll enjoy all the perks of being part of a big company, but with the autonomy of running a small business. We’ll give you lots of responsibility from very early on, and let you seize the initiative to do things your way.
As part of your interview process, we’ll take you on a ‘field ride’ to show you a day in the life of our sales teams. This will quickly tell you the caliber of our people and their dedication to our customers.
Our standards are high, and that includes our training. So we’ll give you all the knowledge and equipment you need to be successful in your role – from a fully stocked van to the latest CRM software.
Most of your training will happen on the job, but you’ll start with an introduction to Hilti (our values, strategy and culture) before meeting the customers and products that you’ll get to know so well.
We’ll reward you for your hard work with generous incentives and best-in-class training, as well as one on one coaching and personal attention to the progression of your career.
With consistently outstanding results plus teamwork and commitment, you can move into leadership roles very quickly at Hilti. In fact, many of our sales people reach their first management position in their mid to late twenties, and 80% of our management roles are filled with internal candidates.
We also have a very thorough people review process, where we screen everyone in the company in a yearly career performance matching process. It’s how we find opportunities to develop our people with different responsibilities, cultures and market challenges. It means we can broaden your skill set, feed your ambition and open doors for your career.
Building exceptional customer relationships in different roles
As a member of our sales team, you’ll be exactly that – part of a team. Our sales model relies on teamwork, which is one of the things that makes the job so enjoyable and rewarding.
There are three main roles in each regional team: working as an account manager with clients on construction sites; finding solutions for local customers in a Hilti Center; or giving specialist advice as a customer service representative.
Here’s more about each important role.
• This is a consultative selling role, where you’ll build on our relationships with construction professionals who want the best quality products from a brand they know and trust.
• You’ll have your own set of clients, who’ll include property developers and trade experts working on construction sites and projects.
• You’ll have lots of autonomy, be working with customers in the field and managing your own calendar.
• We’ll equip you with a van and the latest technology to demonstrate products, and trust you to do what it takes to get results.
• We’ll give you a specific trade area, such as electricals or building construction, and you’ll quickly become a specialist on the products and applications in that field.
• You’ll have every opportunity to develop your career, as your role will evolve with all the products we launch. We release 60 different tools, services and software solutions every year, so you’ll always be challenged to learn something new.
• With strong commitment, high performance and the drive to succeed, you can quickly move up and progress your career.
Hilti Store representative
• In this role, you’ll look after a Hilti Store retail site, serving local clients and tradespeople who need products straight away. These might be small or big accounts, ranging from sole traders to large construction sites.
• You’ll have full responsibility to run your Hilti Store, which means the flexibility and freedom to make your own decisions. You might decide to hold public workshops or demonstration days, or come up with other ideas to market to your local customers.
• You’ll have broad product knowledge across the complete Hilti catalog, which opens lots of career options for the future. If you need any help on a specialist product area, you can always rely on your team for advice.
• It’s a lot like running your own business, so you’ll need an entrepreneurial spirit and will reap the rewards of being proactive.
Customer service representative
• This is where you’ll help to look after our portfolio of small to large businesses, acting as a trusted Hilti representative for a number of accounts. Your role is to be on hand for anything they need and to give each client relationship a friendly, personal touch.
• Your job might mean taking inbound calls from customers wanting technical advice about specific products or construction site problems. For this, you’ll be thoroughly trained so you have the confidence to solve problems and give advice on areas you know inside out.
• Or you could be making outbound calls to customers who may benefit from our new products or promotions. Again, you’ll have regular training. You’ll also get out and about on construction sites meeting customers face to face.
• It’s all about fostering our trusted relationships and using your product knowledge to find solutions to clients’ needs.